• Emily Malone

5 surprising stats from ‘State of Inbound 2015’ report

Updated: Jul 6, 2020

Prepare those eyebrows for some involuntary raising, because HubSpot (HS) has just released a load of brand spanking new stats about inbound that’ll probably surprise you.

Even though inbound trends continue to unfurl along a fairly foreseeable path, there are always going to be little surprises in the findings of such a hugely in-depth report. Here are five of these unexpected stats from HS’s breaking news: the State of Inbound 2015 report.

1. The lowest priority for companies is reducing the cost of increasing leads and conversion rates.

Companies consider increasing leads and conversion rates to be top priorities, while, interestingly, the lowest priority for them seems to be reducing the cost of accomplishing these two goals.

As it turns out, reducing the cost of acquiring leads/customers was three times less likely to be prioritised as increasing the number of leads/customers.

This means that businesses aren’t too concerned with reducing the cost of contact/lead/customer acquisition. The priority is making that important connection, not saving money.

2. Even the people who use outbound methods reckon it’s a waste of time. 

“Approximately 32% of survey respondents whose companies identify as primarily outbound organisations called paid advertising the most overrated marketing tactic — the number one answer by a wide margin.” – State of Inbound, HubSpot

Anyone who has discovered the effects of inbound will say that paid advertising (i.e. billboards, TV, print ads) is a pretty rubbish investment. Funnily enough, of the people whose companies prefer inbound marketing, HS found that 20% more named paid advertising as the most overrated marketing tactic than the next closest item. But guess who else thinks the same thing?

The people who are actually still using outbound marketing.

Which pretty much says it all, doesn’t it? Still, I can’t help but think why are they still paying for these billboards and intrusive ads if they know it’s a waste?! It’s baffling, really.

This reminds us that the smart money is on inbound, as 30+% of both inbound and outbound organisations consider paid advertising to be a waste of time.

3. Inbound works for B2B, B2C, and nonprofit.

Or what we like to call H2H (human to human). If you think inbound isn’t going to work for your customers, you need to take that back. Immediately.

HS recently surveyed nearly 4,000 people and found that inbound had a 75% likelihood of being the marketing approach of choice. Outbound, however, only had a 25% chance.

This shows that it doesn’t matter who your customers are, inbound is always the best way to reach them.

4. More senior executives prefer inbound marketing than managers.

HS’s data shows that the more you advance in your company, the more likely it is you’ll prefer inbound approaches.

Among managers or senior managers, outbound is perceived to be the best marketing approach in terms of generating ROI. But advancements in the corporate ladder seems to correlate strongly with an increased favouring of inbound marketing tactics.

Inbound preferences catch up to outbound at the non-executive VP/director level, and then run right past it at the executive rank.

It’s inbound > outbound for the big bosses.

5. Marketing content creation is not limited to in-house writers anymore.

You probably already know that for an effective inbound strategy, it’s essential for marketers to create compelling content that reflects their company’s voice and brand. This helps readers turn into website visitors, then leads, and finally customers.

New data has shown that the people capturing that unique voice and providing that value don’t always need to be your own employees. The use of freelance and agency writers is reportedly on the rise for marketing content.