On Wednesday 27th June we're hosting our first ever Salesforce Women in Tech event in Nottingham! Here's the agenda we've planned so far.
It may be 2018, but the technology industry still falls behind when it comes to attracting women to the workforce. Even now, Salesforce reports that women only make up 25% of their tech roles — globally. According to ISACA’S 2017 Women in Technology survey, the biggest barriers for women are the lack of mentors and female role models in the field, gender bias in the workplace, and unequal growth and pay opportunities compared to men. Both Salesforce and oe:gen are actively striving to change this.
The Nottingham Salesforce Women in Tech group is powered by women who want to share their industry experiences, learn how to get a career in tech, close the tech gender gap, and above all, support each other. Here are a few of our aims:
- To raise awareness of the gender gap in the tech industry
- To provide tips and advice on how to enter a tech role
- To share a better understanding of the wider roles available in tech
- To discuss the progress for women in tech so far
- To teach businesses how to develop a successful women in tech initiative
- To share the experiences of women who are experts in their fields; from engineers, to founders, to investors, to marketers, to designers and more.
We've already got five amazing women on the day's agenda to give advice, spark ideas, and share their experiences. Get to know them below!
Plus, you'll be entered into a book competition!
We're a bunch of book nerds here, so we've decided to throw a competition into the mix. Everyone who signs up to the event and comes along on the day will be entered into a competition to win one of three inspiring books:
- Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur by Cara Alwill Leyba
- Women in Tech: Take Your Career to the Next Level with Practical Advice and Inspiring Stories by Tarah Wheeler
- Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys' Club of Silicon Valley by Emily Chang.
The three winners will be picked at random at the end of the day. There will also be a free buffet and drinks, so stick around with us for a chat! We won't close the doors until 7pm.
This is an all-inclusive event that aims to encourage, empower, and support women who want to thrive in technology roles. Anyone who wishes to learn more about how they can help close the tech gender gap is welcome!
RSVP to the free event by clicking the banner below (if you're a Salesforce User) or via this Meetup link (if not)! Or if you'd like to present a talk on the day alongside these awesome ladies, get in touch with me here! I'd love to hear from you.