Pardot's Engagement Studio helps us run complex marketing campaigns, without all the fuss. With these 'Engagement Programs', we can effortlessly reach the right person at the right stage in their buying cycle — with exactly the information they're looking for. Plus, because of how they're set out on the Engagement Studio canvas, we can visually follow the path our customers will take when entering campaigns. They're great because they basically give a complete view of our customers' experiences from start to finish. So, what can we actually do with Engagement Studio?
Engagement Programs built in Pardot can really up our sales and marketing game by helping us:
- Save time by reducing the number of automation rules required
- Customise your approach for different groups of buyers with lead nurturing
- Re-engage with and warm-up inactive prospects with tailored content
- Continue to stay in touch with a prospect who might be a good fit but aren't quite ready to be sold-to yet
- Follow-up with event attendees in a timely manner using relevant content
- Alert sales reps when prospects are sales-ready
- Move clients and prospects through the sales cycle based on their responses to each bit of the campaigns
- Determine exactly which actions leads need to take before being assigned to sales
- Test your engagement logic more accurately
- Build detailed campaigns that can send the right content to a group of prospects who might be at different stages of the buying cycle.
Engagement Programs are made from a healthy recipe of Triggers, Rules, and Actions.
Engagement Program Triggers
There are a few ways engagement programs can be triggered:
- When an email has been opened
- If a link in an email has been clicked
- If a form has been filled in
- If a landing page has been visited
- Is a custom redirect link has been clicked
- If a file has been downloaded.
Engagement Program Rules
These define criteria-based paths for prospects:
- Assigned Salesforce queue
- Assigned user
- Assigned status
- List membership
- Prospect custom field
- Prospect default field
- Lead score
- Prospect tag
- Salesforce campaign
- Salesforce campaign status
- Pardot campaign membership
- Salesforce status.
Engagement Program Actions
Here are the actions we can set in Engagement Studio:
- Add prospects to a list
- Add them to a Salesforce campaign
- Adjust their score
- Apply tags
- Assign them to a group
- Assign them to a user
- Assign them to a Salesforce Active Assignment rule
- Create a Salesforce task
- Change the prospect's field value
- Notify specific users
- Remove prospects from a list
- Remove tags
- Send emails.
We can set our Engagement Programs to wait for a few days based on Triggers, Actions, or Rules. For example, perhaps we want our program to 'wait 3 days' or 'wait up to 3 days' for prospects to open an email before another Trigger, Action or Rule fires. This way, we can make sure we're allowing time for the program to work out the most appropriate path our prospects should go down next.
Complex campaigns made easy
The best part? They're actually really easy to build once you get a hang of the tools. No matter how complex our campaigns need to be, we don't have to be (or even know) a programmer to create our campaigns in the Engagement Studio. In fact, all of it is pretty much just click-and-select functionality!
Engagement Studio and GDPR
Recently, we set up a couple of GDPR Complaince campaigns using Pardot's Engagement Studio. Here are the steps we placed in the program to map out a path for GDPR Compliance:
- Send the contacts in a pre-made dynamic list the GDPR opt in/out email, linking to a 'GDPR preferences' landing page.
- Then wait 5 days
- If a contact has responded to one of the three options laid out on the landing page form, add them to the correct list via automation and end the program for them
- If a contact has not responded to the email after 5 days, send the email again
- This trend of sending after 5 days of waiting for a reply continues 3 times before it stops and automation is kicked in to tag them as “No Response”. This then creates a task in Salesforce for verification to delete.
Testing and success rates
Engagement Studio campaigns are really easy to test; just one click can test the logic of the campaign. Then, to gauge how well your engagement program is nurturing your prospects, you simply need to view the program metrics in the Report tab of any running or paused program.
Publishing an Engagement Program can be pretty damn scary for a marketer. Luckily, the Engagement Studio lets us test the decisions our customer might make, so we can press that 'start' button with confidence. We can also access the exact success metrics we need, right where we need them. This gives a high-level view initially, but when clicked on, drills down into more information directly on the Engagement Studio canvas. Click-through rates, open-rate percentage etc. are all overlaid directly onto the campaign's canvas, so we can easily make sure that the campaign is working the way it should, without having to leave the view.
If you're thinking about learning how to use Pardot, Salesforce have brought out lots of handy Trailhead modules right here to help you get to grips with the platform. If you want to chat about what else it can do for your business, get in touch with us today!